Monday, August 27, 2012

Choc-Chia pudding

With spring on it's way, it's time to start thinking cold desserts. I've adapted my own recipe for Chia seed pudding. It makes about 900mls so select the appropriate sized individual servings. I used 6 x 200ml custard cups.




INGREDIENTS:

600mls almond milk
200mls choc soy milk
1/3 cup chia seeds
1/2 tablespoon maple syrup


1. Combine all the ingredients in a pouring jug.
2. Stir every 15 minutes for 1 hour.
3. Pour into individual bowls and refrigerate.
4. Best eaten several hours later or leave overnight, to thicken.


Chia seeds don't really have a flavour, they are used to thicken the pudding as they swell and absorb the liquid. So if you're considering adapting your own recipe, consider the combination of liquid ingredients.

I found the almond/soy milk blend a good combination. On it's own, almond milk can be quite thin and choc soy can be quite thick - but together, they make a very silky, flavoursome blend.

The first time I made Chia pudding with just almond milk, I remember it being quite bland. I wasn't impressed enough to make it again. With a large bag of Chia seeds left over however, I explored different combinations of liquids. The 200mls of chocolate soy milk, makes all the difference to the plain old gloop I made before.

I know Chia seeds are healthy, but without a enticing liquid flavour, they aren't worth the effort.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

take a bite and share